At Cledford, we provide a high quality mathematics education and embrace a mastery approach. We encourage pupils to see mathematics as an interconnecting subject, linking all areas of the curriculum together. Our maths lessons are rich in opportunities to reason and problem solve and support all children in:
- gaining fluency in the fundamentals of mathematics
- reasoning mathematically
- solving problems and applying their mathematical skills
- making progress and achieving in line with their age
Our EYFS pupils focus on Development Matters. Maths is part of their daily diet as pupils develop the necessary building blocks to excel mathematically. Throughout a wide variety of experiences, children work to gain a deep understanding of numbers up to 10.
Years 1 – 6 follow Power Maths, an integral part of our bespoke curriculum. Power Maths supports and challenges all pupils and is built on the belief that EVERYONE can be successful in maths. You can find out more about Power Maths in the files below.
When introduced to a new concept, pupils have opportunities to build competency by being encouraged to physically and visually represent their mathematics. Objects and pictures are used to demonstrate and visualise abstract ideas, alongside numbers and symbols.
Concrete – children have the opportunity to use concrete objects and manipulatives to help them understand and explain what they are doing.
Pictorial – children then build on this concrete approach by using pictorial representations, which can then be used to reason and solve problems.
Abstract – with the foundations firmly laid, children can move to an abstract approach using numbers and key concepts with confidence.
All pupils also have Daily Dashboard sessions every morning. These sessions secure learning and provide opportunities for practice and application of new skills.
Times Tables Rock Stars
We know that confidence and fluency in times tables opens up all areas of mathematics so we make use of a fun and challenging online programme called Times Tables Rock Stars. You can find out more about TTRS in the files below.
- Our maths curriculum design ensures that the needs of all learners at Cledford are met with high quality first wave teaching, supported by targeted, proven interventions where appropriate.
- Enjoyment of the maths curriculum promotes achievement, confidence, fluency and basic skills.
- Resilience and recognition that mistakes lead to learning.
- Readiness for the next phase of learning and an ability to apply their learning to a wide range of problem solving tasks.
- Application of learned skills in a range of contexts including reasoning.